Friday 29 April 2011

ICONOCLAST DEFINED









 Iconoclast : A person who attacks a cherished belief or institution.

     It was Marjorie Harris, Canada's most knowledgeable and best garden writer who first characterized me as an iconoclast.
 As a reluctant convert to the use of a personal computor and the wonders of the Internet, I did not google the meaning of the word but consulted the Oxford English Dictionary and had to agree with her assessment.
Being a Scot probably helps. Canadians are so notoriously polite; whereas I am all too outspoken at the sight of a grievous error.
 Blunders abound and mistakes, misunderstandings and myths are endlessly repeated.
 It will be my self-appointed task to correct the most egregious.

( I always wanted to use the word, egregious, I will try not to do it again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment