Sunday 14 August 2011

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE










The lady approached me with every retail workers' favourite question.

Do you work here ? she accused.

Reluctant to confess, I admitted only, Good morning Madame. Can I help you ?

What annuals do you have ? she threatened.

Annuals ? Well, yes we do have some annuals. Not a lot.

Then name some. You do work here don't you ? she tolerated.

We have Sweet Peas.

They're nice, but not today. Anything else ?

There's Kochia, I headscratched.

Never heard of it.

Looks kinda like (This place came highly recommended by some highly recommended people, she bridalpathed.) a young cypress or cedar. In the fall they go bright red. Some people call them Burning Bush, I kindled.

Sounds ghastly. What else ? You do work here don't you ? She looked over around and through me. There was no one.

Marigolds. We have lots of Marigolds. Great colours. Orange and brown and yellow.

And ? Citrus and rust and near butter. And ? There's tangerine and squash and pumpkin.

I'm asking for annuals not vegetables. Don't be smart with me young man.

Winning me over completely.

You do work here don't you ? She swivelled, but there was only me.

Herbs, I grasped. We have herbs. There's a couple of annuals in our herb collection.

Basil's an annual and so is Sweet Annie, I cringed. But more like vegetables, I quickened.

You don't seem to know much. Do you always work here ?

Where's that Paul Zammit when you really need him ?

No comments:

Post a Comment